This list of mutations is available to all evolutionists of the elemental type, augmented elemental subtype and to all those who take the Elemental Mutator feat.
- Heart of the Elements [Air]: The evolutionist gains the Air subtype. Whenever the evolutionist is flying, fighting a flying opponent or whenever he moves more than his base land speed on any given round, he gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC for each teratomorphism he has, this bonus also always applies against projectile attacks. Unlike normal of the air subtype, the evolutionist does not gain a fly speed. Lastly, the evolutionist gains Run as a bonus feat.
- Heart of the Elements [Earth]: The evolutionist gains the Earth subtype. Whenever the evolutionist and his opponent are in contact with solid earth or stone, the evolutionist gains a +1 bonus on all attack and damage rolls for each teratomorphism he has. Lastly, the evolutionist gains Endurance as a bonus feat.
- Heart of the Elements [Fire]: The evolutionist gains the Fire subtype. His melee and ranged attacks with natural weapons deal an additional 1d4 points of fire damage for each teratomorphism he has. Unlike normal for the fire subtype, the evolutionist does not gain immunity to fire and does not gain vulnerability to cold. Lastly, the evolutionist gains Heat Endurance (Sandstorm) as a bonus feat.
- Heart of the Elements [Water]: The evolutionist gains the Water subtype. Whenever the evolutionist is fighting an opponent in a primarily water-based environment (such as on a ship, underwater or even under heavy rain) he gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls and armor class for each teratomorphism he has. Unlike normal for the water subtype, the evolutionist does not gain a swim speed. Lastly, the evolutionist gains Cold Endurance (Frostburn) as a bonus feat.
- Elemental Potency (Requires any elemental subtype): The evolutionist’s elemental attunement empowers his attacks. This teratomorphism increases the energy damage dealt by his attacks by one point per damage die for every two teratomorphisms he has. The subtypes the evolutionist has determine which type of damage is affected, as follows: Air (Electricity), Earth (Acid), Fire (Fire) and Water (Cold).
- Control Elements (Requires any elemental subtype): The evolutionist can control the elements to which he is attuned. This teratomorphism is a supernatural ability that works as a cluster of spell-like abilities depending on the elemental subtypes the evolutionist has. This supernatural ability has all the functions of the spells (or powers) included in it, but takes only a standard action to activate and has a duration of 1 hour per mutator level, when applicable the caster (or manifester) level for these abilities is equal to the evolutionist’s mutator level, all DCs are based on charisma.
Air: Control Sound, Control Winds, Gust of Wind;
Earth: Move Earth, Transmute Rock to Mud, Transmute Mud to Rock;
Fire: Control Flames, Pyrotechnics, Quench;
Water: Create Water, Control Water, Control Weather (rain and storms only).
- Elemental Renewal (Requires any elemental subtype): Whenever the evolutionist would take damage from an energy source related to one of his elemental subtypes, he heals 1 point of damage for every 2 points of damage that would have been dealt. This ability disregards any energy resistance or immunity that the evolutionist might have and all excess healing is lost. This teratomorphism is a supernatural ability.
- Archon (Requires any elemental subtype): The evolutionist is a paragon of elemental power. When using an ability that deals energy damage he may ignore energy resistances and deal 50% damage to creatures with immunity. Furthermore, his energy attacks gain a special effect depending on his subtypes, all of these effects last until the end of the evolutionist’s following turn:
Air: Whenever the evolutionist deals electricity damage to a creature, it suffers a penalty on saves and armor class against electricity effects equal to the number of teratomorphisms the evolutionist has.
Earth: Whenever the evolutionist deals acid damage, his targets take half that amount of damage on the following round.
Fire: Whenever the evolutionist deals fire damage to a creature, it takes 50% additional damage from fire attacks.
Water: Whenever the evolutionist deals cold damage to a creature, it becomes entangled.
- Cataclysm Heart (Requires any elemental subtype): The evolutionist gains the following supernatural abilities, as long as he has the appropriate elemental subtypes. Activating any of these abilities is a free action, as is deactivating them, but either of these can only be performed once per round, whenever they would require a save, use the default DC for mutations. The effects of cataclysm heart (and any natural instances of these effects, when applicable, never pose any danger to the evolutionist.
Inferno (Fire): Hell hath no fury like the evolutionist. He may raise the temperature within an area with a radius of 100 feet by up to 20° F per mutator level. This ability imposes the dangers of Heat and Smoke in the entirety of this area. The saves for this ability are based on constitution.
Quake (Earth): The evolutionist’s steps shake the earth. He may create an Earthquake as the spell with a radius of 60 ft. centered on his area. If the evolutionist moves, the area surrounding the path of his movement is also affected by the Earthquake. The radius of this effect increases by 10 ft. for every size category the evolutionist has above medium.
Unlike with the normal Earthquake spell, structures caught within the evolutionist’s quake take 5 damage per mutator level, additionally, any cave-ins caused by this effect use the same save as the earthquake. The saves for this ability are based on strength.
This ability cannot be used unless the evolutionist is touching the ground.
Whirlwind (Air): The evolutionist is the eye of a storm. He may surround himself with winds of any strength category he wishes, up to tornado winds. This effect extends out to a radius of 10 feet around him. The wind effect extends outwards in increments of 40 feet, becoming weaker by one category until they equalize the normal wind speed of the area. The save for this ability is based on dexterity.
Vortex (Water): The evolutionist is a deluge. He may create rain or a downpour within a radius of 100 feet around his space, even if indoors. If the climate is cold, this will become sleet or heavy snow, respectively.
If the evolutionist is in contact with a large body of water, he can create a Maelstrom, as the spell (Stormwrack pg. 118), with the exceptions that it has no minimum area to be used (but is limited to the size of the water body or the spell, whichever is less). The saves for this ability are based on constitution.
Mutant Ascendancy: The evolutionist gains the ability to ascend into an elemental being. Doing so grants the traits of the elemental type, including Darkvision 60 ft. (or a 60ft increase to an existing darkvision), immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis and stunning as well as critical hits and sneak attacks. Unlike common elementals, the evolutionist can still be resurrected as per the creature type he belonged to before. If the evolutionist has no elemental subtypes he gains one of his choice (from Air, Earth, Fire or Water). Lastly, he gains the following benefit:
- The evolutionist gains energy resistance 10 (or increases existing energy resistance by 10) to energy damage based on the elemental subtypes he has, as follows: Fire (Fire), Cold (Water), Electricity (Air), Acid (Earth). If the evolutionist increases any of his elemental resistances to 35, he gains immunity to that form of damage.
Mutant Perfection: In the unfathomable vast of the cosmos all things have their purpose, the purpose of the elements is to raise worlds, to be the building blocks of reality, they are the primal and final forces of creation and change, destructive as they might be.
A demiplane bound to the evolutionist is formed. Its dimensions stretch out to a radius of one mile per mutator level, it may be finite or self-contained as the evolutionist prefers. It’s default Morphic trait is Alterable, but it is considered Divinely Morphic for the evolutionist should he ever acquire a divine rank. It has normal time trait. It’s gravity trait is chosen by the evolutionist. It is connected to the astral plane and to the ethereal plane, but not to the shadow plane, and it borders an associated inner plane if it is not self-contained. It has elemental dominant traits matching the subtypes of the evolutionist, if he has alignment subtypes it is mildly aligned to those as well, if the evolutionist is undead it gains the minor negative dominant trait (and the minor positive dominant trait if he is deathless). The evolutionist is immune to harm that would be dealt by the traits of his demiplane.
The evolutionist may set up a portal to this demiplane as a standard action, the portal can be placed anywhere within 120 feet of the evolutionist and it can be as large as needed for a colossal creature to pass through or as small as necessary for the evolutionist himself to cross. Portals may not be closed (also a standard action) from inside the demiplane, only from the outside, and it leads to a point inside the plane of the evolutionist’s choice when it is set. There may be more than one portal active at any given time and they otherwise work exactly like the planar travel version of the Gate spell, but without the need for concentration and no set duration.
Besides those traits, the overall appearance of the demiplane upon creation is up to the evolutionist (the minutiae of its geography are not, however, and these develop on their own), and even the dominance of an element does not preclude the presence of others (merely their… lack of pervasiveness), a Water plane might be a vast body of water with bubbles of air and blocks of granite floating inside it, a plane of fire might be nothing more than a massive ball of fire or a molten planetoid or a long plain of burning coals. The demiplane may have natural resources of its own, but acquiring those from their elemental beds is no easier for the evolutionist than mining in the material plane would be. Any desired fauna and flora must be introduced after the demiplane forms.
As a final benefit, the evolutionist’s attunement to elemental forces allows him to convert himself and anything on him or generated by him into elemental energy for brief periods. As a free action he may convert all damage he would deal into energy damage matching his elemental subtype (Air – electricity; Earth – acid; Fire – fire; Water – cold).
Prerequisite: Fire Resistance or immunity, any extraordinaire or supernatural ability that deals fire damage.
Ability Score: Constitution.
Benefit: The evolutionist’s flame lingers. Whenever he deals fire damage, his target must succeed on a reflex save or catch fire (DMG pg. 303). Unlike the normal rules for catching fire, the reflex save made to put out the flames is against the DC set by this mutation.
Further Mutations: Each time this mutation is taken increases the damage dealt by the flames by 1d6. This mutation can be taken once per four mutator levels.
Earth Glide [Extraordinaire]
Prerequisite: Burrow movement speed.
Ability Score: None.
Benefit: When burrowing, the evolutionist may chose not to leave a tunnel behind.
Further Mutations: This mutation can be taken once.
Elemental Aura [Supernatural]
Prerequisite: Elemental nimbus, Mutator level 5.
Ability Score: None
Benefit: The evolutionist may project an aura that deals the same type of damage as one of his elemental nimbuses, chosen upon taking the mutation. This aura deals 1d4 points of damage per five mutator levels to everything within 10 feet of the evolutionist at the end of his turn. Only one elemental aura may be active at any one time. Activating or deactivating an aura is a swift action. The evolutionist does not take damage from his own elemental auras.
Further Mutations: Each time this mutation is taken, the evolutionist can chose a new aura or he can increase the radius of an existing aura by by 10 feet and damage by 1d4. This mutation can be taken once per four mutator levels.
Elemental Body [Supernatural]
Prerequisite: Elemental Nimbus
Ability Score: Constitution
Benefit: The evolutionist may choose one type of elemental nimbus he has. That elemental nimbus may stay active indefinitely without the need for a swift action to sustain it. In addition, the evolutionist can have a separate nimbus active alongside this one.
Activating or deactivating the nimbus altered by this mutation is a free action.
Further Mutations: Each time this mutation is taken it applies to a separate elemental nimbus, only one elemental nimbus can be kept active indefinitely through this mutation at any one time.
Elemental Bomb [Supernatural]
Prerequisite: Elemental Resistance, mutator level 5.
Ability Score: Constitution
Benefit: The evolutionist can release a ball of energy against his enemies as a standard action. This attack targets an area with a radius of 20 feet that can be up to 400+40/mutator level feet away, dealing 1d6 points of damage per mutator level (maximum 10d6) to all creatures in the area, a reflex save halves this damage. Once the evolutionist has used elemental bomb, he must wait five rounds before using it again.
The elemental bomb’s damage type must be one the evolutionist has resistance or immunity to, and is chosen at the moment the mutation is taken. This ability can be treated as a breath weapon for the purposes of metabreath feats and similar abilities that affect these special attacks.
Further Mutations: Each time this mutation is taken after the first, the evolutionist can chose to gain a new, separate elemental bomb (with its own cooldown), the evolutionist cannot have more than one elemental bomb of any one damage type. The evolutionist may also choose to increase the maximum damage of one existing elemental bomb by 10d6 or reduce the cooldown of one existing elemental bomb by one round, to a minimum of two rounds.
Elemental Breach [Supernatural]
Prerequisite: Elemental Resistance or immunity, mutator level 3.
Ability Score: Constitution
Benefit: As a standard action, the evolutionist can open an immobile elemental rift anywhere within 20 feet per mutator level of his position, the rift floods the area around itself with destructive energy, it lasts for two rounds and has a radius of 5 feet, which increases by 5 feet every round. Any creature that moves into or begins its turn inside the area of the rift takes 1d6 points of damage per mutator level, to a maximum of 5d6 damage, this ability allows a fortitude save for half damage. Multiple overlapping breaches of the same type do not deal additional damage.
The type of damage dealt by the breach is chosen upon taking this mutation, and it must be a type of damage to which the evolutionist is resistant or immune.
Further Mutations: This mutation can be taken once per three mutator levels, each time it is taken, the duration of the rift increases by two rounds and the maximum damage dealt increases by 5d6 (but it never does more dice of damage than the evolutionist’s mutator level. Alternatively, the evolutionist can chose the ability to open rifts of a different energy type, all breaches share the same duration and maximum damage.
Elemental Infusion [Supernatural]
Prerequisite: Elemental Attack applied to claw or slam attack (or any other natural attack that can be used to wield a weapon).
Ability Score: None
Benefit: The evolutionist may choose one natural weapon he has applied elemental attack to. Any manufactured weapon he wields in place of that natural weapon receives the benefits of elemental attack.
Further Mutations: Each time this mutation is taken, the evolutionist must apply it to a different natural weapon.
Elemental Rejuvenation [Supernatural]
Prerequisite: Any elemental subtype (air, earth, fire, water).
Ability Score: None
Benefit: Whenever the evolutionist is at least within reach of a separate manifestation of an element matching one of his subtypes (the ground, a bonfire, the air, a lake, etc) he may, as a full round action, heal one hit point per mutator level. If the evolutionist can heal at least 10 hit points with this ability, he can reduce the healing received by 10 to remove any one poison, disease or spell effect of his choice affecting him.
Further Mutations: Each time this mutation is taken the healing received increases by the evolutionist’s mutator level. This mutation can be taken once per four mutator levels.
Greater Damage Reduction [Extraordinaire]
Prerequisite: Mutator level 4th.
Ability Score: None
Benefit: The evolutionist gains damage reduction 2/- or increases an existing undefeatable damage reduction by 2.
Further Mutations: This mutation can be taken once per four mutator levels.
Special: Different damage reductions do not add up, only the highest applicable damage reduction is applied to the damage taken.
Ability Score: Strength or Dexterity
Benefit: The evolutionist can cause a localized tremor centered on him as a swift action. The tremor has a radius of 10 feet, every creature within this radius must win a resisted strength or dexterity check (whichever the evolutionist prefers) against the evolutionist or be knocked prone by the shockwave. The evolutionist (and anyone attempting to resist the effect) gains a +4 bonus on this check for each size category above medium.
Additionally, all creatures and objects in the area of the shockwave suffer 1d4 + (Str or Dex mod) bludgeoning damage. A reflex save halves this damage.
If the evolutionist has the Air subtype, he may add his dexterity modifier to the damage and save DC instead of his strength modifier. If the evolutionist has the water subtype he may use his constitution modifier instead.
Further Mutations: Each time this mutation is taken after the first, its radius increases by 10 feet and its damage increases by 1d4. This mutation can be taken once per three mutator levels. If this mutation is taken at least thrice, the evolutionist may add twice his strength (or dexterity) modifier to the damage done.
Speed of the Wind [Supernatural]
Prerequisite: Mutator level 2.
Ability Score: None
Benefit: The evolutionist gains a +10 ft. enhancement bonus to all his movement modes.
Further Mutations: This mutation can be taken once per three mutator levels. If the evolutionist takes this mutation at least three times, he gains immunity to falling damage.
Prerequisite: Mutator level 3.
Ability Score: None
Benefit: The evolutionist can discern the exact location of any creature within 20 feet of him that is in contact with the ground and moving, a creature is considered to be moving so long as it has performed any physical action on its last round or since (including casting spells with somatic components, attacks of opportunity, etc). This ability does not work if the evolutionist is not in contact with the ground or if there is no direct path between the position of the evolutionist and the target creature within the radius of this ability.
Further Mutations: This mutation can be taken once per two mutator levels, each time it is taken the radius of the tremorsense gained increases by 20.