The Formless Avatar
By Greg Ducker
Tides ebb and flow, winds change, mountains erode, bones go from soft to strong to brittle to dust. Change is embodied in all things but never more so than in the body of the formless avatar. Some warriors battle with hearts of fury, others with discipline and skill, or by guile and deception, but the formless avatar fights as an embodiment of evolution. By focusing the power of flux, an energy that springs from primordial chaos, the formless avatar learns to constantly alter their body and fighting style to better overcome any foe. There is no outsmarting a foe that cannot be anticipated, there is no overpowering a creature that can become born for nothing more than strength in an instant, there is no outrunning a predator that can adapt to hunt any prey. The formless avatar is perfection in fluidity, changing to be ideal for whatever challenge awaits it.
Role: The formless avatar is a frontline combatant. Despite a lack of skill they can evolve enough strength, durability, and natural advantages to make themselves deadly attackers. A single moment can see their claws and muscle melt into iron hide and scales and regenerative flesh making them a nearly unkillable walking tank that can soak damage until all is chaos again. Lastly if so inclined the formless avatar can adapt for speed, stealth, and deadly strikes and become an apex predator, hunting prey until the perfect moment.
Alignment: Any non-lawful
Hit Die: d6
Starting Wealth: 3d6 × 10 gp (average 105gp.) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.
Acrobatics, Climb, Disguise, Escape artist, Fly, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Planes), Knowledge (Religeon), Perception, sleight of hand, Stealth, Survival, Swim,
Skill Points Per Level: 4 + Int modifier
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+0||State of Flux|
|20th||+10/+5||+6||+6||+6||Avatar of Change|
Weapon and armor proficencies: A formless avatar is proficient with all simple weapons as well as light and medium armor. They are also proficent with any natural attacks gained through their class features.
Flux: A formless avatar is a master of change, they harness a primordial energy affectionately known as "Flux" to allow them to make dramatic alterations to their body. These changes can range from minor to dramatic. Flux is never destroyed, only changed and moved as such flex is not expended, just allocated. A formless avatar has a number of points of flux equal to twice their level plus their constitution bonus. Re allocating flux is a swift action and can be done even if the formless avatar is helpless, but not dead. Once flux is allocated to an ability it stays that way until re-allocated. This is an extraordinary ability and is considered to alter the avatar's true form, as such true seeing and other such abilities detect the avatar as they are. As a side effect of this the formless avatar is immune to unwanted polymorph effects and can use this ability even while magically polymorphed.
One Point of flux may be invested to gain any of the following benefits and all bonuses stack with themselves and any other enhancements however only up to half the avatar's total flux points, rounded down, may be spent on a single ability. :
- +10 ft increase to base land speed.
- +5 ft climb speed. This can be taken even if the avatar did not previously have a climb speed and as per usual gaining a climb speed grants a +8 racial bonus on climb checks
- +5 ft swim speed. This can be taken even if the avatar did not previously have a swim speed and as per usual gaining a swim speed grants a +8 racial bonus on swim checks
- +5 ft burrow speed. This can be taken even if the avatar did not previously have a burrow speed and allows the avatar to burrow through any material with a hardness less than their strength bonus and leaves a useable tunnel if they desire.
- +10 on acrobatics checks made to jump. Additionally the avatar always counts as having a running start. If at least two points is spent on this ability the avatar doubles the vertical distance they cover (becoming equal to half their check result). If the avatar spends at least four points on this ability they quadruple their vertical jump (becoming equal to their check result).
- +4 On Hide checks. If at least five points are invested into this ability can also function like invisibility, allowing the avatar to hide in plain sight until they make an attack, at which point the points are automatically uninvested.
- +4 on escape artist checks. For every 2 points invested in this ability the avatar counts as 1 size smaller for the purpose of squeezing and balancing.
- +4 on survival checks.
- +4 on disguise checks. In addition no disguise kit is required to avoid a penalty as the formless avatar physically alters appearance, skin colour, gender, and more.
- +4 on intimidate checks and to the dc for others to intimidate the avatar.
- +2 on perception checks.
- +2 on initiative checks.
- 5 ft darkvision. If at least 6 points are invested in this ability the Avatar can also see in magical and deeper darkness like a devil.
- 5 ft scent. If at least six points are invested in this ability the avatar cannot be hindered by powerful masking odors or their quarry's attempts to confuse their scent trail.
- 5% immunity to critical hits, sneak attacks, and other precision based damage.
- 5 points of resistance towards either acid, cold, electric, fire or sonic damage.
- +1 to a saving throw of the avatar's choice.
- +1 to all ranged and melee attack rolls.
- +5 to the CMB or CMD of the avatar against one specific type of maneuver.
- Gain on natural attack dealing 1d6 damage if medium sized. This damage can be either bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing. If this ability is taken once and only one attack is made using this natural attack; apply 1-1/2 times the character's Strength bonus to the damage roll. If this ability is taken exactly twice both natural attacks are counted as secondary but take a -2 penalty and apply the avatar's full strength bonus to damage. If this ability is taken 3 or more times all natural attacks it grants are treated as secondary, taking a -5 penalty, and deal only half strength modifier. This ability cannot bring the Avatar's total number of natural attacks above 2+1/3 levels above first.
- +5 ft reach for 1 natural attack
- Increase the damage die inflicted by a natural attack by 1 step. This ability can be taken only once per natural attack starting at 4th level and again every 4 levels thereafter. Refer to the unarmed damage chart for monk rather than the usual weapon damage chart.
- Gain a ranged attack with a range of 30 ft. This functions as the natural attack ability, including adding strength to the damage, but deals damage as if the avatar were 1 size smaller.
- Increase a limbs ability to wield a weapon. The first time this ability is taken a chosen hand may use a two handed weapon without penalty, the second time it may use a light or one handed weapon meant for a creature 1 size larger without penalty. The third time this is taken it allows the wielding of a larger 2 handed weapon and so on. Regardless of the size or equivalent of hands the attack doesn't add 1.5 times strength bonus. This ability may be taken once at first level and an extra time for every six levels the avatar has.
- +1 Bonus combat feat the avatar qualifies for. Any daily uses that may be granted by such a feat are tracked by day regardless of how many times the feat is gained or lost.
- +1 Natural armor.
- DR 1/magic.
- 1 fast healing.
- Add 1 point of bleed to a natural attack. This bleed damage stacks with itself and other bleed damage.
- +1 to strength or dexterity
Regenerative flux: Beginning at 5th level the avatar of change can invest their flux into suppressing negative conditions. As long as the flux is invested in suppressing an ability it has no harmful effects on the avatar but it's duration, if any, continues to be used up. Each ability has its own cost that must be invested in separately. The prices are as follows:
1 Point: A single point of ability damage, shaken, sickened, dazzled, Fatigued,
2 Points: A negative level, A single Point of ability drain, Blinded, Deafened, Exhausted,
4 Points: Confused, Fascinated, Frightened, Nauseated, Staggered,
6 Points: Cowering, Dazed, Panicked, Paralyzed, Stunned,
Advanced changes: Beginning at 10th level a Formless Avatar can learn even more powerful abilities. These often require the investment of more than one flux point and the cost is listed first:
- 1- 5 ft fly speed with clumsy manoeuvrability. This can be taken even if the avatar did not previously have a fly speed and as per usual gaining a fly speed grants a +8 racial bonus on fly checks. For every four points invested in this ability the manoeuvrability increases by 1 step.
- 1- The avatar gains 5 resistance towards any one type of energy damage. This includes damages such as holy, negative energy, radiant, force, arcane, untyped and any other damage type that may be used in the setting.
- 1- The avatar gains spell resistance equal to it's level. For every additional Point invested in this ability the spell resistance increases by 1.
- 2- The Avatar gains the uncanny dodge ability. If at least four points are invested into this ability they gain improved uncanny dodge and all around vision. This of course uses their avatar level in place of rogue level.
- 2- The avatar gains 5 ft blindsight.
- 2- The Avatar can spend a full round action to move at up to five times their normal speed in a straight line using any movement type they possess. Each time this ability is taken it increases the multiplier to their speed by 1.
- 3- Increase damage reduction from /magic to be overcome by a specific type of weapon damage such as bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing. If this ability is taken twice the damage reduction can only be overcome by a special weapon material or alignment instead. If taken a third time this changes the DR to be overcome only by abilities that bypass all DR.
- 3- One natural attack gains either the grab, pull, push, or trip monster ability. This ability can be used to grant the same or a different attack multiple abilities if desired as long as each is paid for.
- 3- The Avatar gains the constrict ability with damage equal to the damage of any one of it's natural attacks.
- 3- The Avatar can spin webs as per the web monster special ability. The webs have a break dc of 10+the avatar's con bonus.
- 4- The avatar gains a devastating sweep attack. As a standard action deal the damage of one natural attack to all foes in a 90 degree cone with a length equal to that attacks reach. Any foe caught in this area may make a reflex save for half damage with a DC equal to 10+1/2 the avatar's class level+strength bonus.
- 4- The avatar gains trample as per the monster special ability. The damage is equal to any one of the avatar's natural attacks.
- 4- The avatar increases or decreases in size by one category. This does not confer any bonus or penalty to ability scores unlike normal size changes.
- 4- The avatar gains the ability to breathe water. This does not cause them to lose the ability to breathe air.
- 4- One point of bleed dealt by a natural attack upgrades to either strength, dex, or con bleed.
- 4- One of the avatar's natural attacks increases it's critical threat range by 1. This stacks with other threat range modifying abilities but is applied after their effects are calculated.
- 5- The avatar gains the pounce monster special ability
- 5- One of the Avatar's attacks deals double damage on a charge.
- 5- One of the avatar's natural attacks deals 1 negative level on hit as per the energy drain monster ability.
- 5- The Avatar's carry capacity doubles. Each time this ability is taken it doubles again, this ignores the usual rule for doublings and effectively equals a quadrupling and so on.
- 10- The avatar gains regeneration overcome by two types of energy or weapon damage. Unless this ability is taken a second time the energy damages chosen must be either acid, cold, fire, electric or sonic.
- 10- The Avatar gains an additional move action each round.
- 10- One of the avatar's natural attacks increases it's critical multiplyer by 1. This stacks with other increases to critical multiplyer.
- 15- The Avatar gains an additional standard action each round.
- 20- The Avatar gains an extramove and standard action this turn. If this ability is selected the points invested into it can only be uninvested at the beginning of the avatar's turn.
Reflexive flux: Beginning at 15th level the Formless avatar learns to alter their body in dire situations. They may now re-allocate Flux as an immediate action. As usual for an immediate action this still expends the swift action for their next turn.
Avatar of change: Beginning at 20th level the Formless Avatar has reached it's full power becoming nigh unstoppable, able to shift between forms with perfect control. The Formless avatar gains 5 extra flux points and may now invest as many points into whatever abilities they desire. Additionally reallocating points as an immediate action no longer uses the swift action from their next turn.