Now you see me, now you're dead.
--Taranh the Oncoming Storm, a noted elven Speedster.
Abilities: Dexterity is the most important ability for a Speedster, granting more uses of most of his high-level abilities and helping make up for his inability to wear armor. Strength is important for any melee class, improving his attack and damage, although the bonus damage from a Blitzkrieg Strike can partially make up for a low strength score. A good Constitution score can help make up for his lower hit die.
Starting Age: As Monk
Starting Gold: As Monk
Hit Die: d8
The Speedster’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex),Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st level: (4+Int modifier) x4
Skill Points at each additional level: 4+Int modifier
|1st||+1||+0||+2||+0||Blitzkrieg Strike 1/encounter, Fast Movement, Rapid Response, Run|
|2nd||+2||+0||+3||+0||Speed Armor, Speed Stealth, All Terrain (Earth)|
|3rd||+3||+1||+3||+1||Mobile Strike, Uncanny Dodge|
|4th||+4||+1||+4||+1||All Terrain (Sea), Evasion|
|5th||+5||+1||+4||+1||Charge Mastery, Blitzkrieg Strike 2/encounter|
|6th||+6/+1||+2||+5||+2||All Terrain (Walls)|
|8th||+8/+3||+2||+6||+2||All Terrain (Air)|
|9th||+9/+4||+3||+6||+3||Charge Mastery, Improved Uncanny Dodge|
|10th||+10/+5||+3||+7||+3||Bob and Weave, All terrain (Ethereal), Blitzkrieg Strike 3/encounter|
|11th||+11/+6/+1||+3||+7||+3||Charge Mastery, Improved speed Ability|
|12th||+12/+7/+2||+4||+8||+4||Faster Than Sound|
|14th||+14/+9/+4||+4||+9||+4||Faster Than Light|
|15th||+15/+10/+5||+5||+9||+5||Speed Healing, Blitzkrieg Strike 4/encounter|
|16th||+16/+11/+6/+1||+5||+10||+5||Faster Than Reality|
|17th||+17/+12/+7/+2||+5||+10||+5||Improved Blitzkrieg Strike|
|18th||+18/+13/+8/+3||+6||+11||+6||Faster than Space|
|20th||+20/+15/+10/+5||+6||+12||+6||Faster Than Time, Blitzkrieg Strike 5/encounter|
Weapon and Armor Proficiency- A Speedster is proficient with all simple weapons and light martial weapons. He is not proficient with any kind of armor or shield. If he wears armor of any sort, he loses access to all of his Speedster abilities.
Blitzkrieg Strike (Ex)- A Speedster knows how to harness his speed to deadly effect. Once per encounter, he can make a Blitzkrieg strike. To do so, he must make a charge attack, forfeiting the normal bonus to attack. If he hits, he deals extra damage equal to 2 points per ten feet moved. For example, if a 7th level human speedster charges 140ft, his Blitzkrieg Strike deals an extra 28 damage. This ability can be used once per encounter. At 5th level, and every subsequent 5th level thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th), a Speedster can use this ability one extra time. He can only apply the extra damage once per charge, and you can never deal more than 10 times your class level Blitzkrieg Strike damage in a single turn.
Fast Movement (Ex)- At 1st level, a Speedster gains a +10ft enhancement bonus to his speed. This bonus improves by 10 feet every other level, to a maximum of +100 feet at 19th level. He loses this ability if he wears medium or heavy armor, or carries a medium or heavy load.
Rapid Response (Ex)- A Speedster’s reflexes cannot be equaled. He adds his Speedster level to his initiative.
Run- At first level, a Speedster gains Run as a bonus feat.
Speed Armor (Ex)- At 2nd level, a Speedster gains the Speed Armor ability. He gains a +1 dodge bonus to armor class for every 20ft he moves. For example, if a 7th level speedster moved eighty feet, his Speed Armor bonus would be +4. Against attacks of opportunity provoked by movement, this bonus is doubled. This ability goes into effect as soon as the movement begins, and ends at the beginning of the Speedster’s next turn. At 11th level, this bonus improves to +1/10ft moved. He cannot use both Speed Armor and Speed Stealth at the same time.
Speed Stealth (Ex)- At 2nd level, a Speedster learns how to stay hidden while moving quickly. When hiding or moving silently (or both) and moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than his base speed, he only takes a -2 penalty. At 11th level, he gains concealment when moving at more than half his base speed. He cannot use both Speed Stealth and Speed Armor at the same time.
All-Terrain- A Speedster can run through terrain that would make any other man stop in his tracks. As long as he ends his movement on a solid square, he gains the following abilities:
- At 2nd level, he can move through difficult terrain with no reduction in speed. He can also take 10 on Balance checks.
- At 4th level, he can run across water and other non-solid surfaces, as though affected by a Water Walk spell. He can also take 10 on Swim checks.
- At 6th level, he can run across vertical walls and ceilings, as though affected by a Spider Climb spell. He can also take 10 on Climb checks.
- At 8th level, he can run through thin air, as though affected by a Air Walk spell, although without the ability to fall gently if he is somehow halted in mid-air. He can also take 10 on Jump checks.
- At 10th level, he can run through solid objects, as though he was ethereal. He must end his movement in an unoccupied square. He can also take 10 on Escape Artist checks.
Mobile Strike (Ex)- At 3rd level, a Speedster can attack without ever slowing down. When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed. Moving in this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender you attack, though it might provoke attacks of opportunity from other creatures, if appropriate. This ability is in all ways identical to the Spring attack feat, and can be used to replace it to qualify for prestige classes and the like.
At 6th level, a Speedster can make a second attack during his Mobile Strike. He gains a third Mobile Strike at 11th level, and a fourth at 16th level.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex)- Starting at 3th level, a Speedster can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
If he already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.
Evasion (Ex)- At 4nd level and higher, a Speedster can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Speedster is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Speedster does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Charge Mastery- At 5rd, 7th, 9th, and 11th levels, a Speedster can gains a special ability of his choice from among the following options:
- Acrobatic Charge- While charging, you gain an untyped bonus to Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks equal to your bonus to speed. For example, a 7th level Speedster gains a +40 bonus to Tumble checks while charging.
- Hit and Run- attack without slowing down. This ability functions like the Ride-By Attack feat, except that he need not be mounted to use it. He can combine this ability with his Blitzkrieg Strike, dealing damage for the FULL distance moved, as long as he moves at least half the total distance before striking-- any less, and he's still accelerating, and only deals damage for the distance he's traveled before hitting his foe.
- Dancing Charge- When charging, the Speedster has a limited ability to change direction. For every 10 feet of movement, he can turn 45 degrees. This ability works similarly to a clumsy maneuverability while flying.
- Effortless Charge- A Speedster must have already taken Dancing Charge to take this ability. When making a Dancing Charge, he can turn 45 degrees for every 5 feet of movement.
- Pounce- Make a full attack at the end of a charge.
- Blitzkrieg Fury- If you wield two or more weapons, you may apply Blitzkrieg strike damage to the first attack made with each weapon. The ten times class level damage cap still applies. A Speedster must have Pounce to take this ability.
- Cheetah's Sprint- Once per day, a Speedster may move ten times his speed when he makes a charge.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)- At 9th level and higher, a Speedster can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the Speedster by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Speedster levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.
Bob and Weave (Ex)- At 10th level, a Speedster is so fast and agile that he no longer provokes attacks of opportunity due to movement.
Faster Than (Su)- A high-level Speedster is capable of burst of speed so great that they shatter the normal laws of the universe. If the spell he is emulating normally allows him to bring along other creatures, he can carry a number of Medium-sized creatures equal to his Strength modifier. He can use each Faster Than ability a number of times per day equal to his Dexterity modifier.
- Faster than Sound- At 12th level, a Speedster can spur himself to speeds much greater than normal. Activating this ability is a swift action, and grants the Speedster an extra move action for the turn. In contrast to the other Faster Than abilities, he can use this power a number of times per day equal to twice his Dexterity modifier.
- Faster than Light- At 14th level, a Speedster can move so fast that he appears to teleport. This ability functions as a Dimension Door spell with a caster level equal to the Speedster’s class level, with the following exception. The Speedster need not be able to see his target, and isn’t affected by Dimension Lock and similar effects, but he must be potentially able to reach his target on foot, using his All-Terrain ability and suchlike.
- Faster than Reality- At 16th level, a Speedster can move so fast he shatters the boundaries of the universe. This ability functions as a Plane Shift spell with a caster level equal to the Speedster’s class level.
- Faster than Space- At 18th level, a Speedster can hit even more impossible speeds. This ability functions identically to Faster than Light, but emulates a Greater Teleport spell.
- Faster than Time- At 20th level, a Speedster can outrun time itself. This ability functions as a Time Stop spell with a caster level to the Speedster’s class level. During the period of stopped time, he moves at half speed and cannot use his Speed Heal or any other Faster Than abilities.
Improved Evasion (Ex)- At 13th level, a Speedster’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Speedster does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.
Speed Healing- At 15th level, a Speedster can focus his speed inwards, healing his wounds. As a standard action, he can grant himself fast healing 10 for a number of rounds equal to his dexterity modifier. However, while he is healing and for 1d4 rounds afterwards, he cannot use his Blitzkrieg Strike, Speed Armor or Stealth, All-Terrain or Faster Than abilities. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to one-half his Dexterity modifier.
Improved Blitzkrieg Strike (Ex)- At 17th level, a Speedster’s Blitzkrieg Strike now deals 4 extra points of damage per 10 feet moved. The ten times class level damage cap still applies.
Gravitic Strike: At 19th level, a Speedster with this ability can focus incredible force into a single strike. As a full round action, he can move and make one single melee attack against his opponent. He must move at least 100ft before making a Gravitic Strike. If the attack hits, his opponent makes a Fort save (DC 20 + Speedster's Con mod), if he fails his body is torn apart by the forces, instantly killing him. If he succeeds he takes standard damage for the Speedster's attack, plus 20d6. He can use this ability a number of times per day equal to one-half his Dexterity modifier.